TechCult’s Most Twisted Takes of 2008
As we look forward to a fresh year of technology twisting fun, we thought we’d take a moment to look back at some of our most popular and unusual stories of 2008. Behold, then, TechCult’s Most Twisted Takes of 2008.
The Most Viewed Stories
First, your picks: The following are the 15 most viewed TechCult stories over the past months. Check ‘em out and see what you might have missed.
• The 150 Best Online Flash Games
The title says it all. More free online games than you can shake an Atari at.
• Top 12 Tech Embarrassments in 2008
From Microsoft resorting to bribery to a football player’s blogging blooper, 2008 saw plenty of tech-related screw-ups. We honor the year’s most mortifying moments.
• 5 Sickening Habits of Mainstream Website
Rest assured, you won’t have to click through 12 “slideshow” pages to read this story.
• The 25 Best High-Tech Pranks
Get the new year off to a laughing start by pulling some great geeky pranks on your office pals.
• 20 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Stick In Your USB Socket
No, that’s not one of them.
• Hello, I’m Dead. Please Leave a Message.
Why your voicemail could end up living far longer than you do.
• 15 Magnificent and Monstrous Computer Mice
Who says a mouse has to be small? Wait till you get a load of these tricked out tracking devices.
• 10 Dumbest Tech Support Calls Of All Time
If you can’t figure out how to follow the above link, you shouldn’t be reading the story.
• Prediction: Virtual Worlds May Lead To Human Extinction
Virtual worlds’ dirty little secrets could have some disastrous consequences. Well, maybe.
• When Microsoft Met Yahoo: A Romance Novel
You’ll never think of Yahoo the same again after reading this oddly erotic tale.
• Uh, About That Porn You Watched…
Your online “habits” may end up costing you — and not just in the form of a cramped hand.
• TechCult’s Top 100 Web Celebrities
These aren’t your average A-listers. Meet some of the Internet’s biggest rising stars and see how they built their empires.
• Judge: “The Simpsons” Parody Is Child Porn
You watched “The Simpsons Movie”? You pervert!
• 10 Great Moments in Jack Thompson’s (Failed) Career
A legal hall of shame with one hell of an ending.
• 10 Technology Stunts At The 2008 Olympics
The Beijing Games brought more than medalists into the spotlight. See some of the strange technology tied to the event.
A Few Other Favorites
Finally, a few of our favorites that just missed making the top cut. If you didn’t catch any of these the first time around, now’s your chance to get caught up.
• How Texting Ties Into Darwinian Theory
Modern proof of evolution, courtesy of your cell phone.
• Obituary: The Best Buy Associate, 1983 – 2009
An advance memorial to a fading phenomenon.
• Help, I’m About to be Replaced by a Computer
Hey, laugh now. But you might be next.
• Old People and E-Mail: A Special TechCult Top 10
Our TechCult special correspondent takes a break from shuffleboard to explain why senior citizens are all about speedy e-mailing.
• Midwestern Businessman Makes New Yahoo Offer
Bet you didn’t know Yahoo turned down a second offer for a sale.
• Dear Blockbuster: You’re Late.
A friendly little note we sent to the video store.
From all of us at TechCult, HAPPY NEW YEAR! We’re looking forward to sharing more unusual interpretations and smartass sentiments with you in 2009. Now, for the love of God, stop staring and click on something already. You’re starting to freak me out.